SGT Morris Jones
A partial genealogy of one of the Genesee Settlers of
North Bristol (now North Madison), Connecticut
Sgt. Morris Jones served 3 years in the Revolutionary War. He was living in Saybrook at the time of his enlistment. He enlisted in Norwich according to his pension application. He was discharged on May 7, 1780 in Morristown, New Jersey. He served in Captain Robert Hallam’s Company in the 4th Connecticut Battalion under the command of Colonel John Durkee. He served in the battles of White Plains, Scranton, Princeton, Germantown, and Monmouth. Undoubtedly he must have endured one of the harshest winters in the Revolution when Washington’s troops were starving and cold.
Morris Jones purchased 25 acres of land from Abraham Pettibone of Bristol on 17 October 1793. The land was described as "on Race Hill of 7th Division land laid out to Nathaniel and Abigail Parks bounded north by David Thompson’s land, east by Race Hill Road, south by part common land of Caleb Munger, west on common land or lands of Nathaniel Eliot." (GLR Vol 16:88) He also bought 10 acres of land on 11 Nov 1794 in North Bristol from William Morgan who lived in Saybrook. (GLR Vol 16 page 87). The land was described as "lying near Will’s Meadow, one third part of thirty acres being 4th Division land." He bought again on 15 Nov 1797 in North Bristol owned by Reuben Bushnell of Saybrook, 26 acres bounded north by Nath. Hill’s land in part and Partly by lands belonging to the heirs of Tho. Dudley, west by and easterly by Noah Hills and Tho. Dudley’s heirs. (GLR Vol 16:88).
His home stood at the top of Race Hill Road and the Old Genesee Road according to the deed. A 1985 map by Merrit Cleaver of Madison identifies the house as Noah Hotchkin’s later sold to Morris Jones. (The map can be found at the Scranton Memorial Library in Madison.) It was located where Race Hill makes it’s bend to the west towards the Monastery in North Guilford. A sketch of the house can be found in the Commerative History of Middlesex County under William Augustus Hart published in 1903 by J.B. Beers & Co. William Hart married Sarah M. (Sally) Jones, grandaughter of Morris Jones. Below is the actual sketch of Morris Jones’s house that stood at the top of Race Hill Road. The hand drawn map by Charles Hubbard in his book Old Guilford shows Race Hill Road where it bends to the west named "Jones Road".
Sketch above of Sgt. Morris Jones Homestead on Race Hill Road by his Daughter Sally Hart
Foundation of Sgt. Morris Jone’s homestead on Race Hill Road
The house and land originally belonged to Noah Hotchkin and sold to Morris Jones in 1797
Morris Jones was the son of Joseph Jones of Saybrook. He was descended from Lewis Jones who can be found first in Wethersfield, Connecticut. He later moved to Saybrook. Below is the ancestry and some descendants of Sgt. Morris Jones:
Descendants of Lewis Jones
Generation No. 1
1. LEWIS1 JONES1 was born Abt. 1635 in of Wethersfield, Connecticut, and died 11 Apr 16842. He married DEBORAH PALMER3 04 Dec 1660 in Wethersfield, Connecticut3, daughter of HENRY PALMER and KATHERINE. She was born 05 Feb 1642 in Wethersfield, Connecticut4.
Child of LEWIS JONES and DEBORAH PALMER is:
2. i. SAMUEL2 JONES, b. 18 May 1676, Saybrook, Connecticut.
Generation No. 2
2. SAMUEL2 JONES (LEWIS1)5 was born 18 May 1676 in Saybrook, Connecticut6. He married (1) MARY STANNARD. He married (2) MARY (MARAH) LAY 08 Dec 1697 in Saybrook, Connecticut7, daughter of JOHN LAY and SARAH. She was born 21 Mar 1678 in Lyme, Connecticut8.
Children of SAMUEL JONES and MARY LAY are:
3. i. JOSEPH3 JONES, b. 24 Mar 1717, Saybrook, Connecticut; d. 1774, Westbrook, Connecticut.
ii. BENJAMIN JONES, b. 12 Feb 1716.
iii. SAMUEL JONES, b. 11 Dec 1698.
iv. DEBORAH JONES, b. 07 Nov 1701.
v. EPHRAIM JONES, b. 26 Oct 1704; d. 28 Feb 1796, Westbrook, Connecticut.
vi. SARAH JONES, b. 15 Apr 1708.
vii. TEMPERANCE JONES, b. 04 Aug 1710.
viii. HANNAH JONES, b. 14 Jan 1712.
ix. JOHN JONES, b. 19 Jan 1714.
Generation No. 3
3. JOSEPH3 JONES (SAMUEL2, LEWIS1) was born 24 Mar 1717 in Saybrook, Connecticut9, and died 1774 in Westbrook, Connecticut. He married MARY TILLOTSON.
Notes for JOSEPH JONES:
His will is dated March 29, 1773. It mentions wife Mary, sons Morris and Samuel, and daughters Temperance, Ruth, Margaret, Mary, and Elizabeth. It mentions his brother Benjamin. (Source: NEHGS Register Vol 49:314.)
Notes for MARY TILLOTSON:
Mary was probably the daughter of John Tillotson but it is not proven.
Children of JOSEPH JONES and MARY TILLOTSON are:
4. i. MORRIS4 JONES, b. 1757, Saybrook, Connecticut; d. 13 Feb 1847, North Madison, Connecticut.
ii. SAMUEL JONES.
iii. TEMPERANCE JONES.
iv. RUTH JONES.
v. MARGARET JONES.
vi. ELIZABETH JONES.
Generation No. 4
4. MORRIS4 JONES (JOSEPH3, SAMUEL2, LEWIS1) was born 1757 in Saybrook, Connecticut10, and died 13 Feb 1847 in North Madison, Connecticut11. He married (1) SARAH LEWIS, daughter of SIMON LEWIS. She was born Abt. 1764, and died 29 Jun 1806 in North Bristol, Connecticut. He married (2) DESIRE (or DEZIAH) Unknown . She was born Abt. 1764, and died 16 Aug 1837 in North Madison, Connecticut.
Notes for MORRIS JONES:
Revolutionary War pension application stated that he had 5 children.
Morris and his wife Desire were admitted to the church November 7, 1813.
Church records show he died in his 93rd year.
Below are Sgt. Morris Jone’s gravestones. The original is on the left and a newer replacment one has been put in place:
More About MORRIS JONES:
Burial: West Side Cemetery, Race Hill Road, North Madison, Connecticut
More About SARAH LEWIS:
Burial: West Side Cemetery, North Madison, Connecticut
Children of MORRIS JONES and SARAH LEWIS are:
5. i. JOSEPH5 JONES, b. Abt. 1785; d. Abt. 1836.
6. ii. JOHN LEWIS JONES, b. Abt. 1790.
iii. MARGARET JONES, b. Abt. 1793; d. Aft. 1870, Wallingford, Connecticut; m. JOHN WEBBER; b. 15 Oct 1786, Wallingford, Connecticut.
iv. ROBERT NORRIS JONES, m. ELIZABETH.
7. v. SARAH JONES, b. Abt. 1783.
Generation No. 5
5. JOSEPH5 JONES (MORRIS4, JOSEPH3, SAMUEL2, LEWIS1) was born Abt. 1785, and died Abt. 1836. He married LUCY AUSTIN 01 Jan 1807 in North Bristol, Connecticut, daughter of JOSEPH AUSTIN and BETHIA PAGE. She was born in of Wallingford, Connecticut.
Children of JOSEPH JONES and LUCY AUSTIN are:
8. i. SUSAN ALMIRA6 JONES, b. 30 Oct 1813, North Bristol, Connecticut; d. 28 Oct 1897, Penfield, Ohio.
9. ii. AUSTIN C. JONES, b. 1812, North Bristol, Connecticut; d. 11 Jul 1900, Madison, Connecticut.
10. iii. SALLY M. JONES.
iv. LEWIS JONES, b. 04 Sep 1814.
v. SUSAN ALMIRA JONES.
vi. HENRIETTA JONES.
vii. PHEBE ANN JONES, d. 1910, Clinton, Connecticut; m. SAMUEL STEVENS, 04 Nov 1840, Madison, Connecticut12.
viii. LAURA A. JONES, m. SAMUEL SMITH, 06 Dec 1841, Madison, Connecticut12; b. of New York.
ix. AUGUSTA E. JONES, m. HORACE PAGE, 24 Aug 1844, Madison, Connecticut12.
x. JAMES F. JONES, m. JULIA CLARK, 1848, Madison, Connecticut.
xi. NATHANIEL C. JONES, m. ALPHA STEVENS, 03 Oct 1852, Madison, Connecticut.
6. JOHN LEWIS5 JONES (MORRIS4, JOSEPH3, SAMUEL2, LEWIS1) was born Abt. 1790. He married MERRIAM WEBBER. She was born Abt. 1796, and died 03 Mar 1857.
Child of JOHN JONES and MERRIAM WEBBER is:
i. LAURA L.6 JONES, b. Abt. 1818, North Bristol, Connecticut; d. 20 Sep 1820, North Bristol, Connecticut.
7. SARAH5 JONES (MORRIS4, JOSEPH3, SAMUEL2, LEWIS1) was born Abt. 1783. She married LOREN STEVENS.
Children of SARAH JONES and LOREN STEVENS are:
i. BENJAMIN NORRIS6 STEVENS.
ii. ASA STEVENS.
iii. LOREN B. STEVENS.
iv. JULIUS STEVENS.
Generation No. 6
8. SUSAN ALMIRA6 JONES (JOSEPH5, MORRIS4, JOSEPH3, SAMUEL2, LEWIS1) was born 30 Oct 1813 in North Bristol, Connecticut, and died 28 Oct 1897 in Penfield, Ohio. She married STREET GOODYEAR 25 Nov 1834. He was born 09 May 1808 in Hamden, Connecticut, and died 10 Apr 1884 in Penfield, Ohio.
Child of SUSAN JONES and STREET GOODYEAR is:
11. i. EDWARD SERENO7 GOODYEAR, b. 29 Aug 1843, Northford, Connecticut; d. 03 Nov 1910, Chatham, Ohio.
9. AUSTIN C.6 JONES (JOSEPH5, MORRIS4, JOSEPH3, SAMUEL2, LEWIS1) was born 1812 in North Bristol, Connecticut, and died 11 Jul 1900 in Madison, Connecticut. He married JULIA A. STEVENS 28 Nov 1833, daughter of WALTER STEVENS and JULIA HOLCOMB.
Children of AUSTIN JONES and JULIA STEVENS are:
i. SUSAN A.7 JONES, b. 13 Jan 1835.
ii. WALTER H. JONES, b. 26 Sep 1836.
iii. HARRIET AMELIA JONES, b. 01 May 1838; d. 04 Feb 1900, Clinton, Connecticut; m. JOEL M. CARTER.
iv. ANTOINETTE M. JONES, b. 28 Dec 1839; d. Jul 1858; m. STEVEN NORTON.
v. DIANTHA J. JONES, b. 28 Aug 1841, North Madison, Connecticut; m. DANIEL RUTTY.
10. SALLY M.6 JONES (JOSEPH5, MORRIS4, JOSEPH3, SAMUEL2, LEWIS1) She married WILLIAM HART 25 Jun 1828 in Madison, Connecticut12, son of SAMUEL HART and PATIENCE HUBBARD. He was born 26 Apr 1806 in Durham, Connecticut.
Children of SALLY JONES and WILLIAM HART are:
i. ELIZABETH7 HART, b. 17 May 1831; m. CHARLES CAMP, 15 Jan 1855.
ii. FRANKLIN HART, b. 29 Apr 1834; m. ADELINE JACKSON.
iii. MARY E. HART, b. 10 Jul 1836.
iv. LEWIS HART, b. 28 Dec 1838; m. WIDOW HARRIOT HART, 31 Mar 1867.
v. ELLEN HART, b. 11 Mar 1841; m. ISAAC HALE, 29 Aug 1861.
vi. CHARLES HART, b. 02 Apr 1843; m. ISABELLA BURNS, 08 Feb 1870.
vii. FREDERICK HART, b. 26 Feb 1845.
viii. CATHERINE HART, b. 17 Aug 1847.
ix. ALICE HART, b. 19 Apr 1852.
Generation No. 7
11. EDWARD SERENO7 GOODYEAR (SUSAN ALMIRA6 JONES, JOSEPH5, MORRIS4, JOSEPH3, SAMUEL2, LEWIS1) was born 29 Aug 1843 in Northford, Connecticut, and died 03 Nov 1910 in Chatham, Ohio. He married MARY KEZIA CRANE 22 Oct 1865 in Penfield, Ohio. She was born 15 Jul 1845 in Lagrane, Ohio.
Children of EDWARD GOODYEAR and MARY CRANE are:
i. CHARLES8 GOODYEAR, b. 11 Jun 1867, Lagrange, Ohio.
ii. GEORGE ROBERT GOODYEAR, b. 25 Dec 1871, Lafayette, Ohio.
1. The American Genealogist (TAG) Volume 10 page 107.
2. NEHGS Register Volume 33 page 255.
3. The American Genealogist (TAG) Volume 10 page 107.
4. NEHGS Register Volume 20 page 14.
5. Vital Records of Old Saybrook-Connecticut Historical Sociey page 73.
6. Saybrook Vital Records Vol 1 page 51.
7. Saybrook Vital Records Vol 2 page 75.
8. Lyme, Connecticut Vital Records Vol 1 page 24.
9. Vital Records of Old Saybrook-Connecticut Historical Sociey page 73.
10. A Jones Family Genealogy-Early Settlers of Saybrook CT by Marian Wright Jones (CT State Library Manuscript).
11. North Madison Congregational Church Records Vol 2 page 59.
12. New England Historical Sociey Online Vital Records of Madison Connecticut.
13. Guilford Land Records (GLR)
Gary Nilson Wallingford, Connecticut Updated February 28, 2010